Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Social Distancing Part 9

Wednesday, March 25

Kinda hit a wall, yesterday. My eye was twitching all day, a sure sign of stress for me. I hadn't thought I was feeling so stressed, but evidently I am... Doing a little better today.

I did get out for a walk yesterday, that helps me with stress. Got out again today, as well. Touched base with my next door neighbors, who are a nice older than me couple.  I had wanted to make sure they were OK, and that they had my phone number if they needed anything.

I also took on a new project yesterday. Sewing face masks. It's been a thing on social media. Sew the face masks, as many care facilities are running short! Oh face masks aren't enough protection unless they are (insert whatever standards here...). It is kind of confusing, actually. But it is something to do to feel like you are trying to help, and I definitely AM for that. So, my colleagues at Cruces Creatives are trying to put together an effort to support the mask making efforts, and I am helping. I went in today (they are closed, so social distancing protocols were kept) and picked up a bunch of fabric so that I could wash it before we passed it out to mask makers. We're taking a page, I think, from some of my Charitable Crafting projects - and Joann's as well - and making kits of supplies for people to take and sew. And that is going on tomorrow... Again, following social distancing protocols. Once the masks get made, a local dentist will autoclave them to sterilize them before they go to their final destinations. BUT I'm still kind of struggling about being part of this organized effort. It is a walking the fine line in terms of social distancing. How many hands are going to touch everything... Who is going to be in the chain? That sort of thing. Once they get to the dentist, who will sterilize them, whew, but up to that point? Does that mean I don't want to take part? NO, if I didn't want to take part, I wouldn't, and I wouldn't be having this issue with the whole thing!

This whole how many hands thing is a part of the whole social distancing thing for me, right now. Facebook is full of restaurants encouraging us to go drive through and get food, or get it delivered, and we have! What if you need something from the grocery store? Go get it, and hope they have it! It doesn't feel truly distant. I drove around today, and felt like there were too many cars out there, and one of the too many was probably mine.

It's kind of like the rice. Right as hoarding started, we ran out of rice. We don't eat it all that often, but it is a staple, right? And now we don't have any. There isn't any in the store. Oh no! I need rice, and I can't get it. Are we planning to have it today? No. This week? Again, no, probably not. Then what is the big deal? There's not one. Except that it keeps nagging my mind.

I think this is my process of internalizing our whole situation right now. I feel like things will return to normal-ish in the grocery stores soon, and I can wait for that. We aren't running out of food, despite having no rice. I might even make biscuits or cornbread from scratch, if I have the ingredients... WHAT?!?!?

I do have projects that I really want to work on, and pay the house some attention, and I am mostly a home-body, but the most socially outgoing of my family. So, I'm the one that goes out for the groceries, and I have been out several times, already. I'm practicing waiting.

I'm walking. I like walking through my neighborhood, kind of checking up on the neighbors, in a subtle way, waving if they're outside, saying hello from a distance, checking out who else is out on a walk, or getting some yard work done, or watching their kids play outside. That sort of thing.

There was a woodpecker in this tree. I could hear it, but I couldn't see it.
Spring is beautiful, this year. Oh, I know the winds will blow, and the dust will fly, but it was in the 80's today. And the sky was blue, and it was lovely.

Today, I called my advisory kids, to check in with them. I talked to quite a few. They seemed upbeat, generally and positive. And I tried to send that to them, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment