Sunday, March 15, 2020

Social Distancing part 2

Sunday, March 15

A three week hiatus from school. The state Dept of Education mandated it. But here, on the Sunday evening, before the first Monday/workday, it doesn't quite seem real.

I've been walking, which is one of my goals. Yesterday I walked through the neighborhood. People were out working in their yards, as I should. It really needs it. There were children out playing. I think I heard the ring of people playing horseshoes or washers wafting from one backyard. Being outside is good. I had forgotten that the poppies should be in bloom, so finding them was one of my joys:

a yard full of pretty yellow poppies
Today, more people were out working on their yards. The recent rains have given the weeds a big head start. Ron and I took our dogs, and walked the walking trail up on Triviz. It really felt good to be out, and the dogs enjoyed themselves, too.

I've met some goals, then - at least so far - walking was one. I can tell I need it, and there is something about being outside in the sunlight that recharges me. I've graded more papers today. I don't want to put in complete days, but I do want to get them done, and even entered so my students can check them out on student view. The laundry got done, so there's that, too. If this runs longer than expected, I may have the house as clean and tidy as I've ever had it, and the yard looking, well, if not good, at least weed free. Not sure three weeks are going to get me to that point, though.

Another of my joys today was riding in the car with Raine, and letting her pick the music. She pulls an artist up on Spotify, and plugs into the Aux feature of the car, and I listen to her choices, and she listens to mine. I really like sharing artists with her, and for her to share artists with me. Today, she picked Hozier, and we both sang along, even after the car was parked: "I fall in love just a little bit, every day with someone new..." Moments!

The craft room still needs attention. I went in there several times today and picked at stuff, but didn't really couldn't get a start. The sewing table is clear enough to sew, though, and I think getting some sewing done may help get me going on some of the organizing that needs to be done, but feels a little overwhelming right now.

Ugh, so much stuff piled up!
I haven't been back to the store, though I feel a pull to go. I have groceries for a while, for us, but a still want to do a food pantry run. I'm wondering if the panic buying will slow down in a few days or a week, though. I will do an online order and pick-up though for the next batch, and keep myself out of the store...

The one thing that will bug me, is that I am not a skyper, or even much of a phone caller. I want to talk to people in person, if I must talk to them. I think I'm going to have to get over that for a little while. I want to check on some friends, and make sure they are doing OK, but I also don't want them to feel like they must break their social isolation to do it! It's foreign to think of that, so I must practice. I think that is one of the areas where this whole thing still doesn't feel real to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment