Thursday, April 30, 2020

Social Distancing - Part 23

April 30 - Thursday

So, here we are, all the way to the end of April. My Birthday was this week, and I did celebrate. A few - a very few (6 total) - people met at my brother's house, where he and his wife have a lovely back patio, where we could space ourselves out. We grilled some tomatoes, then corn, and finally salmon and shrimp while the crab boiled. It was a lovely, sit outside, messy meal. And oh, goodness, did it draw the flies! Mainly because we were at it so long, and I'm sure the flies had time to go bring their friends. Desert was angel food cake, with fruit on top (we blended some of the fruit, mostly blueberries, with a little orange juice, to make a nice soak-into-the-angelfood juice) and then topped everything with some whipped cream. YUM.

Raine has been talking about getting a plant for her bedroom, and has been looking into plants that won't hurt her cats if they eat some. I think it is something positive for her to do. Care for a plant, enjoy the benefits of something that is natural, pretty, and alive (for however long that lasts). We got some flowering sage. Not a big container, but a good starter size. Plus she cleaned whatever area where she decided the plant should go. I got some moss rose as well, to go on the front patio, and add a little color.

It perked up some after I watered it. If I can get back to Lowe's, I may get another one to go with it.

Here are some of the other flowers from around my neighborhood...

flowering desert plant
some lantana

a bunch of ice plant
these little purple guys in with the poppies
The rock selection in with the poppies changes, and here are some of the newer ones:

rock group

land sharks
Even though you would think that the time would be passing slowly, I can't believe that the month of April has flown past. Just three more weeks of school, and then out for the summer. Of course it already seems out for the summer in some ways, but it isn't. I've been keeping my office hours, and talking to students and grading their work and thinking about next year. I really enjoy the planning part, and I have ideas for several new/different units for my 9th grade honors kids. It doesn't look like I'll be teaching the AP Literature class next year, and I admit, I will mourn that some. Still, I do enjoy the Honors 9 classes, and I think the new units will be a good change for us all.

So,  a week of walking and flowers, Birthdays and school days, rocks and rolling with it. Social distancing isn't so different in some ways...


No comments:

Post a Comment