Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Social Distancing Part 16

April 7, Tuesday

I'm tired this evening, but I feel like I had a productive day.

I put in some "office hours" today, answered emails, got a start on organization for grades. I feel like I have to use the quotation marks, because of course it isn't an office. My classroom is my office. But I've set up temporary facilities at my kitchen table, and I turn the light on over the table when I'm working, and I turn it off when it is time to do other things. I need the boundaries.

I made masks today. I didn't finish all of them, but I did finish 4. Enough for Ron, and the crew he is on. Tomorrow, I will finish one for my brother, and his wife, and work on another batch to donate. Then, I will do some sewing for me, before I work on another batch of masks. I have things that I've planned to sew. I also want time to do that cleaning in there. I didn't find that today. I was busy.

I did get my walk in, and some days it's hard, and I struggle the whole way around. Today was not that day, and I walked easily, and enjoyed the evening, listening to the voices of neighbors about their business. The sounds and smells of outdoor cooking were there too. And then, there was also this:


A beautiful pink volunteer between the sidewalk and the street. There are other flowers ready to burst open, too. I have no idea what plant it is, but that flower is gorgeous.

I drove over to my brother's house today, and on my way home, I heard Paul Simon's "Boy in the Bubble" song on the radio. It hit me today, like it never has before, and I want to share the chorus...


"These are the days of miracle and wonder
This is the long distance call
The way the camera follows us in slo-mo
The way we look to us all
The way we look to a distant constellation
That's dying in a corner of the sky
These are the days of miracle and wonder
And don't cry, baby, don't cry
Don't cry"

Don't cry, baby, don't cry....

No comments:

Post a Comment