Monday, April 6, 2020

Social Distancing Part 15

April 6,  Monday

This was the day we should have been back at school. You know, if three weeks would really have been enough. It wasn't. As it is, I've started contacting students, and they've started contacting me. Office hours will become a thing this week. I think it is something I will need to practice. The other English teachers that I work with are periodically texting the group... sharing what their plans are, and the delivery of it that they're making. Asking each other questions, which we answer when we can. I appreciate the school I work at, and the team of teachers that I work with, that we will hold each other up instead of break each other down. They make me proud!

I took some donations out today. It's a weight off my shoulders to have some stuff gone. To be able to do some other cleaning in my craft room now. A bit at a time. I didn't get sewing done today, but it will also be on the list for tomorrow. One of Ron's coworkers was diagnosed with COVID19 yesterday. They reported that the person's work area was professionally disinfected, but, they also are recommending that Ron and the other employees wear masks. But they didn't tell him that until he got to work tonight. And they don't have masks. I donated the masks I had already made today. That means I'll be making him one tomorrow. I may make a batch, and let him take them out there to wear, and share with the others. But I'll have to research so that they are clean for them to wear. The ones I've donated to Cruces Creatives are supposed to be taken to a local dentist who will autoclave them.

I guess that coworker thing will go on my list of things that are stressful. Not as stressful as it is for that person, and their family, but still. Thank goodness I have the ability to make masks, even if they aren't a perfect solution, they are still some help.

On to other things. Things that can help me stop stressing as much about that. I cooked a pan of green chile enchiladas yesterday. Usually, if I'm making them casserole style, I use chicken, but I used beef yesterday, so I had to change the sauce a little. My mom was from Houston, ya'll and when she made casserole style enchiladas, she used cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, and cheddar cheese soup with a little milk, and green chile, and chicken. It was yummy! Since I used beef, the cream of chicken soup didn't seem like it fit, so I improvised:

enchilada sauce? 
I decided to use only one of the cans of cream of mushroom soup. I added them to the beef after I browned and seasoned it with onions, garlic, cumin, oregano, and black pepper. Once the sauces were all stirred together, I added green chile. Then, I layered tortillas sauce and grated cheese, and the pan looked like this:

just out of the oven...
It had to sit for a few minutes, so it wasn't molten. It sure was tasty though! I think I may try that again some day.

I don't necessarily love all the domestic chores, and I don't want all of them to be on my shoulders ALL THE TIME, but I will admit to finding a certain comfort in their familiarity at this time.Maybe I can't take care of everything, but I can take care of this.

Oh, yeah. And I found an old friend, from high school days, while I was taking a walk the other day. She is staying with her elderly mother for the time being. She was out walking her dog, and her mother's dog, a pair of friendly basset hounds and we spoke as one can do, even at an appropriate social distance. I looked familiar to her, and she looked familiar to me, and she finally asked if she knew me. And, she did! And I knew her, too!

Finally, online games. This evening I played canasta online, with friends and family. We use Discord so that we can talk to each other while we play, and not feel so isolated. Thank you Carl, for gifting the tabletop emulator, and thank you, Damon, for gifting Canasta 3D. That was really fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment