Saturday, April 18, 2020

Social Distancing Part 20

April 18 - Saturday

I had planned for my trip to Sam's this week to be my only grocery stop for the week. But then the milk from last week went over, and I took a run today. They were monitoring their occupancy, but the line was very short (3 people) and went very quickly. They have tried to make the aisles one-way, but people don't pay attention. And it's hard when you are used to making a certain path through the store, not to follow your habit.

I followed my regular path around the neighborhood this evening as well. There was this cute little sunflower hanging out between the concrete sidewalk and the cinderblock wall.

growth happens
Along the sidewalk at another house, someone has been busy...

notice the little pink bird top right
I've taken pictures of the flowers growing here, before. Tonight, these caught my eye...


I'm loving the creative and happy way this family is dealing with boredom. And what a nice incentive to keep walking past. What is going to be added next time? That's about as close to will to exercise as I can get.

There is pressure on now to relax the social distancing measures. One of the local Catholic churches wants to resume having people attend mass in church. In other places, the beaches are full of people and in still others, people are protesting the stay at home orders. Personally, I think it is too soon, and that it can undo a lot of good that staying home would do. I get it, not wanting to stay home. Wanting to be back at work, and earning money to pay your bills. Missing friends and family. Here's the deal, miss them a little now, so you won't have to miss them forever... or so they won't have to miss you forever. I'm very glad that New Mexico has already cancelled school-in-the-building for the rest of the year. I will keep in contact with my students, and hope they are OK, and worry about them being fed and safe... like usual. Schools are a place for sharing knowledge, and germs. Lots of germs. One less thing to worry about. I'll push for keeping social distancing going for a while longer. Then when other stores open, perhaps they will also limit the number of shoppers, and create one-way aisles, and stick to other social distancing measures for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment