Sunday, April 12, 2020

Social Distancing Part 17

April 12 - Easter Sunday

This weekend was Passover, and Easter. Both religious holidays usually marked by large group celebrations, which should not be on anyone's radar this year. But the governor of New Mexico felt it was necessary to send out an emergency warning/reminder Saturday morning that gathering in groups was against the COVID 19 Social Distancing guidelines.

I'm sure some of my neighbors gathered family around them. It is difficult not to in these times, and yet, the chances one takes with that are hard to deny.  Sunday began with a beautiful day, but the winds picked up as the day wore on, as they will in New Mexico in the spring. We have not had the usual number of windy, dusty days this year, and I am grateful.

I cooked today, a ham that has been in the freezer for just such an occasion. It was yummy along with the ears of corn, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, and easy no yeast rolls I made. I've got a bag of black eyed peas to go into the crock pot tomorrow with the ham bone.

Still, much of the day held familiar activities: checking school email, putting together a puzzle on my computer, sewing, and a walk, along with the kitchen chores. I finished a new tunic top today:


I tried a little variation with a bit of a shark tail hem. You can't really see it in the picture, though. I've been making masks, and I decided I would do something for me before I worked on the next batch of them. I've been having repetitive dreams of making masks. So I hope that is a break enough to kind of get out of that. I'm sure it is a kind of stress dream, and my mind is worrying itself.

We played some more canasta over the internet this weekend. That was fun. The computer version seems pretty true to how our normal games go, so that is nice. It keeps the flavor of our in-person games. We've watched a couple movies. Last night it was Seven Psychopaths, and tonight the first movie of the new Star Trek reboot. While I have been watching some occasional television shows, I haven't gone much in for the longer movies. I did get through the whole season of Next in Fashion, a Project Runway type show, which I enjoyed. They didn't use the challenging type challenges that were one of the best parts of Project Runway, but the contestants were overall kind to each other, and respectful of the other contestants and mostly really good losers, which I respect. Many of them left talking about how much they learned and grew through the experience.  I've been listening to Stephen Frye reading Sherlock Holmes stories while I've been sewing, and I enjoy his reading style and voice. I also listened to Jesus Christ Superstar, one of my personal Easter traditions.

Tomorrow, it's back to office hours, and getting my assignments posted, and working through some grades, and plans for the upcoming weeks. I would like to go turn in the masks that I've finished, and I'll probably continue working the the rest of the batch I have cut out. Then, later this week, I'll work on cutting some more out again... and maybe sew on the pair of pants that has been patiently waiting in my sewing basket. Might even cut out another top. One that will go with those pants, even. There is also the inevitable trip to the grocery store some time this week.

I wish I were a gardener, and thought that I could plant something this year, and watch it grow. I was talking to a friend of mine about that ideal "what I'd do if I won the lottery," and I shared that I would love to be able to pay someone to work in my yard. Make it a beautiful place to sit in, a fruitful place that I could eat from. Ah, well, the dreams we have... even the ones that aren't quite important to us to put some real hard work, sweat, and effort into.

No comments:

Post a Comment