Saturday, May 2, 2020

Social Distancing Part 24

May 2 - Saturday

New Mexico is opening up, more. I noticed a couple of traffic jams yesterday. I line of cars on Triviz going south and backed up almost all the way to Madrid. As if it was business as usual on a late Friday afternoon. So yes, I was among those driving around... I'm so torn. I feel for the people who want to go back to work, and I feel like it CAN be done safely. Curbside delivery for retail. But people are so very clueless about the whole thing. I don't really think we are ready, in terms of COVID safety to quit staying home. And I don't feel like I've personally stayed at home like maybe I should, except that I bought my first tank of gas since March this week. 6 weeks on 2/3 of a tank of gas is quite slow usage, so I think that tells me that I have definitely curbed by travels quite a bit. But there are so many cars out and about when I'm driving, that it doesn't make me feel more secure.

Sam's today was pretty crowded. No line to get in, for a change. They have rearranged the store, so their shoppers have to look around at everything to find what they used to be able to go right to. They still don't have the stock that they have had in the past, which helps make the aisles a little less crowded, though. I was glad I had my mask, even if I do hate wearing it. On the way out, I even mention to the man who was waiting behind me to go through their check at the door that there were marks on the floor for the proper spacing. He was definitely crowding in (though it wasn't like he was THAT close), and I kind of surprised myself chiding him, because I'm not usually like that.

According to the news, Gallup, NM was closed down yesterday by the governor, at the request of Gallup's incoming and outgoing mayors. The roads in and out of town were blocked, and residents were pretty much required to stay put except in case of emergency. The virus has been running rampant in that area, and I think they are hoping that residents will take precautionary measures more seriously.

Las Cruces got its first recorded positive test of COVID in a nursing home. One of the employees. I've been waiting for it, and hoping it wouldn't happen, as the disease can spread so quickly, and be so devastating for residents and employees in these places.

On the lighter side, someone posted a hilarious make-up video, called tiny face make-up challenge, where she did a mask look that turned her nose into a smaller nose, and then a mouth at the nostril area. It was hilarious to watch her develop her look, and the end result definitely had me laughing. Even if she really needs to wear that mask over her nose if she's going anywhere...

I also got some social time this evening, playing canasta with my brother, his wife, and a friend of ours. That was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment