Monday, July 8, 2013

Tied Blankets

My niece is visiting this week. As usual, we enjoy a variety of activities, including some sewing. I enjoy sewing for her, and she enjoys new clothes. I also have tried to encourage some sort of crafting opportunity while she is here.

This year, Shelbi asked if I could make her a tied blanket. I was confused, actually. A tied quilt? I can make that, but not in just this week... and it didn't really seem like what she was wanting. Well, we talked about it for a little while, then ended up in Joann's. She drooled on the fleece. She fondled the fleece. And, I FINALLY figured out that what she was wanting was one of those fleece blankets where you cut strips in two layers and tie them together. OOOHHHHH! A tied blanket! We got a couple of pieces, and as soon as it was washed, she was at work trimming the edges. She finished it in a couple of days.

neon tied blanket!
Before she was even done, she was wanting to make one for her dad, who had a birthday this week. Back we went to Joann's, and more fleece came home with us. Since he LOVES fishing, she got a bright and cheerful fish print, and some mildly tie dyed green. She got to work on it today.

watching TV and tying a blanket
It didn't take her very long to finish it up too. This turned out to be an awesome craft for a 12 year old! It doesn't have to be perfect to look awesome, and I'm sure she and her dad will get lots of use from these cozy blankets.

Raine also did a little crafting, and made herself a tail from the edges that Shelbi trimmed...
I have something to tail you...
It's been a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment