Thursday, July 11, 2013

Some Basic Kid Sewing

Before I drove Shelbi home today, I finished up a couple of basic pieces for her. I had good length of denim on hand, and what could be more basically useful that denim shorts and a denim skirt?

My consultation with my neice brought this pattern to the fore

Make it like this, Aunt Dina!
 It is a pretty basic pattern but there is nothing wrong with that. Unlike my sewing for Raine, this summer (still working on that), I got a pretty darned good fit on my neice. And, of course, I added some personal details even on these basic pieces.
Pockets from a lovely batiked fat quarter.
Shelbi wanted a hi-lo skirt, so I cut the middle of the front as short as the size smaller (about one & a half inches) and the back about that much longer in the middle. I hemmed with some denim bias tape I had gotten to finish the armholes of a denim jumper I made earlier this year. I thought that would make the changing hemline go a little more smoothly. I don't know how much it helped, but it certainly didn't hurt. Then, while I was sewing it, I wished I had some cute polka dot bias tape or something to hem it with for a cute little flash of hem. I might actually try that some time... if I can get to it while the hi-lo hems are still in style.
Hi-lo hemline on the skirt.
She had fun modelling them for me. Can you tell? She called her dad to tell him what time to expect us, and told him the would have to have a fashion show as soon as she unpacked her suitcase... or probably more like, AS she unpacked her suitcase. Kinda fun to sew for someone a little girlie for a change!

I haven't given up on Raine's clothes, though. Got a batch cut out and ready to sew up!

No comments:

Post a Comment