Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Cute top for Shelbi

I did get to sew for Shelbi this year. Not as much as some times, but she likes new clothes made by Aunt Dina. AND I get to sew something girlie for someone, yay!

We went to JoAnn's, and Shelbi picked out some wild, neon colored fabric. Fun! I showed her some patterns I had, and she liked this one.

cute pattern on hand
the one she liked






The top had an upper and lower part, which allows darts for shaping. They are pretty small, but I think they add a nice touch for girls who are beginning to need it. The ruffles are three different layers that all attach to the upper bodice with the lower bodice. It makes lots of layers for me, and makes me hot just to think about it (especially with a summery top) but it really looks cute, and lots of girls layer shirts and tops these days. My main challenge was the sleeves. I guess these would be cap sleeves. The piece was basically a half-circle and left the bottom part of the arm hole uncovered.

finished sleeve detail
 Since I like to finish sleeveless tops with bias tape, I decided to try a little something. I hemmed the sleeve with the bias tape and then finished the arm hole/sleeve all the way around. It looks very finished, although it adds an extra seam around the top of the sleeve.
finished sleeve inside detail
 Not sure that matters. They make cute little summery sleeves that she can wear to school.
Fun top!
I'm happy with the result, and it fits her well. If I were going to change anything, I would probably make the top longer. Maybe next time. I love the bright happy colors and the overall shape of the top.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun shirt! Looks like something my daughter would pick!

    ReplyDelete