Thursday, July 18, 2013

Kid's Clothes Week Summer - RED!

This summer has felt more like "Kid's Clothes Summer," and most of my posts have been about what I've been sewing for my daughter and neice. So, I'm happy to get to participate in this round of KCW.

The first thing I finished this week was a red A line skirt for my neice. It is simple and basic, and just what she asked for.
Bright!
I would have had her model it, but of course she all ready went home. I kept the hemline straight this time, even though I used the same pattern that I did for the denim hi-low hem skirt I made for her while she was here. I hope I got a good start on her school clothes for this year! I packaged it up, and even got it mailed today.

Then, there were these red pants that Raine wanted. Definitely not school clothes, as she has a uniform dress code at her school, and red is not on that list. Red is, however, her favorite color, and she would have had shorts from the above fabric, too if there had been enough of it...

Yeah for red pants!
I went back and measured her again before I cut these out, and I think it helped to deal with the sizing issues I've been having this summer. She is 10 years old and 5 feet tall, and not very big around... I have to modify which ever size I chose to sew with. I did get these a little long, so after the photo shoot, I made them a little shorter, and easy enough fix.

The fabric for both of these pieces is a cotton twill with spandex. I liked the idea of a little stretch and movement. I had to be careful not to stretch the fabric while sewing, though. I did pretty well, except in a few places on the skirt hem. That was partly due to also trying some hem tape for that. My first time for using that, and it was some I had laying around (inherited) not some expressly bought for the purpose. It was Iron on hem tape, and this fabric isn't really iron-friendly. A little experimentation for me, though, is good for the learning curve.

Raine's pants are fairly light weight. Good for summer, but I debated about putting the cargo pockets on. I consider them to be one of the details that makes Raine like this pattern, though, so I did, and I think they look pretty good. So, I'm glad I went ahead with them.

side seam and cargo pockets
Most important? Raine was thrilled with her new RED pants, and she had a little bit of fun with the pictures.

Stop! In the name of love... 
Did I mention that she is 10?

No comments:

Post a Comment