Sunday, May 3, 2020

Social Distancing Part 25

May 3, Sunday

Like many Sundays at my house, this one was full of chores: laundry, cleaning the bathroom, making dog food (I still need to pack it up and put it in the fridge). I seem to be doing a lot of cleaning in the kitchen. I don't like to cook around a mess, and I have been cooking more than usual, though not every day. I'm working up to an apple pie, but it didn't get made today. Maybe tomorrow.

I got some sewing done, 5 masks completed. I know it isn't many, compared to the production lines some people have going, but I'm not selling them, I'm contributing to the efforts at Cruces Creatives to make masks for facilities, and for people in need of them. I took a lot of 25 finished masks in last Wednesday, and picked up supplies for 20 more. I've made more than 50 so far, and will try to get these turned in next week. They go pretty fast once you get the process down, really, and I have been enjoying listening to Stephen Frye read all the adventures of Sherlock Holmes while I sew. (I finally finished listening to The Stand). I've also been working slowly on a cross stitch project for my brother. He wanted, the Last Supper. The pattern I found was 18 panels, and I'm on the second one. Faces are starting to show up, though!


The local rock painters added some skulls into the mix this week, possibly in honor of Cinco de Mayo. Here is some of the fun:

skull, heart and black cat

Additional characters: hungry caterpillar, pizza slice, chile pepper, and heart, among others

another black cat here as well

along with this skull is a broken tooth (clever) and maybe something from Minecraft
I must say that I have enjoyed my winter turned to spring becoming summer this year, and having the time to experience it. The temperatures have been in the 90's for several days, but it isn't the real heat of 100+ that the next few months will bring. My front yard is green, and I pull a few weeds now and then. The grass is more noticeable than it was a few weeks ago, when it seemed the weeds were all that was there. I made a concerted effort to pull out the goat heads, and I haven't spotted any yet this year. Maybe it's too early for them, but I felt every day at the end of the summer last year, that I had gotten them all, and I would walk around and find more. And I have gotten to enjoy my neighbors' flowers. If I can't have the green thumb, at least I can enjoy the efforts of others...

looking down at these purple beauties

looking up at the ocotillo flowers
I think, when all this is over, I there will be things I will miss, just as there are things I miss from before the quarantine. The slower pace is one thing I will miss, and taking time to notice and enjoy these simple pleasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment