Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Social Distancing Part 27

May 13th - Wednesday

The semester is winding down Grades are due by noon a week from tomorrow. Our graduation celebration will be the next day, Friday. It isn't the full ceremony. No one is having that this year, I don't think. We will get to celebrate our seniors, though, and that is important. They will be staying in their cars, listening to a couple of speeches, probably prerecorded (don't know how they'll have them otherwise) and students will drive past the stage as their names are called, and on home. I've volunteered to help in the parking lot. How could I not? I've seen these seniors from freshmen. Many of them are dear to my heart. I want to applaud them!

Today my AP Lit students took their AP test. Online, in a brand new, quarantine required format. I hope they did well, many of them should do well. I'm disappointed that I couldn't give them a send off to the test. I'm more disappointed that I won't be teaching the class next year. It has disheartened me, to an extent, and I've had to grieve the loss of that class. I will still be teaching honors freshmen, which I must be honest, I also love, so all is not lost. But I am disappointed.

I am looking forward to lesson planning for next year, I always do. I've been working on some ideas, and it may take some figuring out how to get the texts I would like the students to use. Still, it is an interesting unit, dealing with mythology, and I hope I can pull it off.

Once school is done, I've also got lots of organizing to do, for school, for my crafting space, for my personal office space. In some ways the organization ticks my box for satisfaction of a job well done, in others, I think I can kind of get lost in it at a level beyond what is needed...(what do you mean the books don't need to be alphabetical by author, and in the order they were published?) Still I have gotten to a place in my life where I can let go of things, and find it freeing to an extent. That used to be very hard for me, and sometimes, it still can be, but I'm better about it, and so I hope there will be some purging done as well. There won't be miracles of cleanliness in my house, however. We are definitely living here, and it shows. But tidy is good.

Here we go, moving from one phase to another, of quarantine, social distancing life.

No comments:

Post a Comment