Thursday, June 25, 2020

Social Distancing Part 35

June 25, Thursday

I've been trying to clear the "old stuff" out of the freezer. It's happening pretty slowly, as I will thaw something, see what it is, and then figure out whether anyone (mostly me) will eat it. This week I pulled a leftover chunk of pork roast out. Didn't seem like it was on anyone's agenda, then I remembered my dad, who would upon occasion make what he called "Jackrabbit." This dish consisted of meat, cut very small, or cut up in the food processor, with pickle, mayo, mustard and the like. He could pull out beef, pork or some combination, and when he was done, it would be like a potted meat you can buy in one of those little cans, only tastier. So, I chunked up that leftover hunk of pork roast, and put it in the food processor with some dill relish, a few bread a butter chips, as well as some juice from the jar, a little onion, some mayonnaise, mustard, and - just to make sure there was enough liquid for it to process well - a little Italian dressing.

This evening, Ron brought out the potato chips and the container of jackrabbit and we enjoyed them. Raine even came in and joined us. I felt like my dad would have been right there with us, enjoying being together and sharing one of those snacky foods that he loved (and taught me to love as well). It was a nice feeling, really, getting to have a Dad connection through the generations.

June is almost done, and there is work to do to get ready for school. The State DoE put together guidelines to help people socially distance an be safer in pandemic. We will be having one group of students Mondays and Tuesdays, Wednesday for deep cleaning, then the other group Thursdays and Fridays. We had a district survey about having those students in a block, or 7 period day, and my response was block. Then we're not cleaning so much, students can see us for more time on those days. Nothing we do will be perfect, but that is true in the best of times.

I'm also working with a group trying to get a curriculum plan for at least the first two quarters... well, ultimately the year, really. I think we are making progress. We figured out some power standards for the first 2 quarters. We came to agreement on those fairly quickly actually, yay us! Tomorrow we will talk about online Grammar practice platforms, to help students meet the Language standards in a fairly self-sufficient way. Then we will tackle other activity plans, and resources to help 9th grade teachers face the online support that we will all have to use with our students this coming school year. There are groups working on the same thing for the other grade levels as well. I'm not very familiar with the canvas platform, but I'm hoping that working on this project will also increase my familiarity with it as well. We all have to start somewhere. I tried taking a selfie for my profile picture in Canvas, and as usual with that sort of thing, I was so busy not dropping the phone as I tried to touch the dot to take the picture, that I could not get a picture that didn't look like I was trying too hard to get it (because I WAS). I got Raine to take a few. Books in the background, as appropriate for an English teacher (right?) Guess I'll share that.

At least I look amused...

The new air conditioning unit has been working very well, I'm happy to say, but we haven't gotten the mini split units installed yet. Hopefully they will arrive soon, so we can be done with the process soon. I really want to get back into my sewing room. I've been moving things some to accommodate the workers putting the unit in there, and Ron got the computer room ready for that unit. 

One of my friends from Washington state is in the process of moving to Silver City, and has been self quarantining for a week. When the second week is done, I really look forward to seeing her, and later, when her wife has moved down as well, and their chaos has settled a little, resuming a long-time friendship with both that I've missed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment