Saturday, July 4, 2020

Social DIstancing #36

July 4, Saturday

Another holiday milestone in the year. This, as others, marked by family gatherings all through my neighborhood, and I doubt that my neighborhood is much different than most neighborhoods in that regard. 

Our numbers of COVID cases seems to climb and climb, and so many people seem to be unable to follow the guidelines to keep themselves, and their loved ones as safe as possible from the pandemic. I still see facebook posts that imply - or state outright - that the pandemic is a hoax, or a conspiracy or even an excuse to take away our rights. I'm reminded of a news story from a couple months ago, of a widow, speaking of her husband who had protested the stay at home orders, and contracted COVID. She said if he were still alive, he would understand that how important the guidelines are and he would not protest any more. Of course, the only way he would believe any of it was to experience it for himself. I think he represents many, many people who just have to have first hand experience for the seriousness to be real. 

Surrounding states like Texas and Arizona have had record breaking daily new cases. I read a news article that two hospitals in TX had reached capacity. Even here in Dona Ana County, we had over 50 new cases yesterday. And we are still getting ready to open schools for students. 

I'm conflicted. I want to go back to work at school. I WANT to see my new students, and meet them, and talk to them in person. I also want not to catch COVID. It worries me because I am in that age group that should be careful. I have diabetes and high blood pressure, both of which could indicate I might have more issues, as well as weight. So, I worry about my chances. I certainly don't want to spend my last days fighting for breath in a hospital.

So, we spend the 4th of July in the house, listening to the neighbors shoot their fireworks. Actually, we spend many 4th's like that. So, in some ways, I guess, quarantine - and the social distancing - is easier for us than it is for some.

No comments:

Post a Comment