Thursday, June 4, 2020

Social Distancing Part 31

June 4th - Thursday

Today is my best friend's birthday. We texted some today, and of course I wished her Happy Birthday, and she thought she would have a pretty relaxing day. I hope she did. She texted her frustration with the president, and I can't blame her. The man makes me question everything about every decision he makes, and every policy he puts forward. To say that he has been less than effective during the COVID 19 crisis is - in my opinion - an understatement. I really did not want to write about a lot of political criticism in this time, but here I am.

Along with the pandemic, there are protests going on since the death of George Floyd, and some have turned to riots. There is some evidence that some of the rioting have been incited by out of uniform policemen. Some have been spurred by white supremacists trying to discredit the protests with violence. Police have fired on citizens with rubber bullets, and have targeted the press with violence and arrests. It becomes an even scarier, more uncertain time. Trump has threatened to declare martial law, and order the US armed forces to stand against American citizens. I wonder what he will do if he looses the election in November. I sincerely hope he does lose it. But what if he - like the spoiled, petulant child he often presents himself as - refuses to pass the office to the next elected president? I mean, I don't like to think about that, but we COULD be facing the end of the United States as we know it. Are we - one way or another - facing living in a fascist state? The dissolution of the union? A civil war? 

Uncertain times. And time for change. We definitely need change. But change is scary. The unknown is scary. I hope we can face these changes with strength, responsibility and peace. I hope that we can make things better, and support each other through troubled and troubling times. But the precipice is near, and coming nearer.

No comments:

Post a Comment