Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Curves Class Begins

I've been wanting to take some kind of sewing class for a while. I look at the classes my local shops offer, and drool over them, but they never seem to be offered at a time that I can really attend. Then, one day, I saw someone talking about a Curves class they were going to lead online. Hmmmm, I thought, I better check that out! I've sewn curves before, I mean I put in sleeves all the time, but there is something about the logic of them that somehow escapes me. I would like to get a better feel for them.

fan quilt patiently waiting for me
Another thing that drew me to the curves class is this pile of quilt pieces. My Mom cut them out, and I inherited them along with a lot of her other sewing projects and supplies. I love a pretty fan quilt, but the curve is really daunting. I put those pieces away and picked the log cabin pieces to try out instead.

finished log cabin. Thanks Mom!
This past summer, I put together my first quilt out of those log cabin pieces. I pretty much used stuff from my stash to complete everything but the binding. It was a crib sized quilt, and I donated it our local child crises center. I loved working on the quilt, because not only did I accomplish something, but I felt like I got to spend some time with my Mom. I feel like the fan quilt would be a similar experience.

I hope that isn't all I get from the Curves class, but the confidence to work on those fans would be fabulous. I hope that I also get something out of this class to share on my blog. Not the class itself, but the experience of the class, and the projects I work on for the class, and even the projects that I work on in the future that I'll tackle because of skills I gain in this class - and others.

Finally, I hope I get some new friends from this class, and grow my creative community. A winning result all around.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting, Dina. It's really helpful for me to hear what folks are looking to get out of the class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your log cabin quilt, looks like you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How terrific! Using the pieces your mom cut is so neat and I am sure makes you feel good to hold her creative ideas. I don't know how to sew a curve either and looking forward to learning with you. This is going to be a fun class! Lots of fun projects planned, this week I plan to make several baby bibs as I am pregnant with our first baby and I haven't made anything for the baby yet. Nice to meet you Dina.

    ReplyDelete