Sunday, February 12, 2012

Two Curves Projects

There are three projects planned for each week of the curves class. Of course it isn't required to do all three, but, from the previews, I do want to do them all. I hope that time permits. If not, I suppose I can save what's left for this summer.

The first project this week was bunting. Basically, decorative flags on a string. I actually got through this project after work one evening. I'm pleased with the happy bunting results. It was the first time for me to free-form cut with the rotary cutter. My pinking shears (since I don't have a pinking blade for the cutter) became my friend during this project. Score a bonus point!
happy bunting, boring door

pop of red piping
The second project for the week was a baby bib. A tiny, Awwwww inspiring, baby bib. Since I'm planing to sew most if not all of these projects from fabric on hand, I looked through my box of flannels, and found some scraps. I went with the red and blue for a simple reason. I also wanted to practice using piping.

I made a couple random cuts through the piece and sewed it in before I placed the pattern. I used my zipper foot, and I think that really helped me with the piping. Usually I'm not really pleased with how mine turns out, and this time I am. More like how I want it to turn out. More like how it looks so great in other people's projects...

perfect for drooling on
Then, the instructions were to trace around the pattern, and sew the two pieces together before cutting out the bib. I thought that was interesting, but it really helped with the curves, I think. There was fabric to hold and manipulate through the tight turns at the back of the neck. I didn't sew off the project because I didn't turn tight enough. I never would have thought to do that, but I liked it! Again, I used the pinking shears to cut the bib out. I think the finished project is pretty cute from some ho-hum fabrics.

So here are my observations so far on the class. I'm enjoying trying out the projects, even the ones that I wouldn't have otherwise chosen for myself (baby bib, for instance), and I'm learning something from even the "easy peasy" projects, and making new friends (like pinking shears). Beyond that, getting to look at what my classmates are making is inspiring, too. I wouldn't have even thought about the piping if I hadn't looked at some of the variations that others had made, and I'm very happy with how that turned out. This class was a great idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment