Sunday, January 29, 2012

Thoughts of Spring

The weather today was beautiful. Sunny, warm and glorious. Of course I was inside, sewing. With Roxanne. It was time to work on some new projects, and I was able - with not much effort, actually - to convince her it was time to work on my happy shirts.

Last spring-ish, I found two pieces of fabric that just made me happy. They each are covered with flowers, but beyond that, fairly different prints. The fabric is rich and soft and I really, really want to wear them. The kicker is that I found a pattern that makes me happy, too! Pull over, collared sort-of trapezey tops. I've had tops very like these in the past that I've really enjoyed, so it is happiness on top of happiness.
The view the model is wearing.
Maybe one day, I'll be making my own designs, and writing tutorials for them, but for now, I'll take the pattern, thank you. So far, this one is easy as advertised. We got the bodies of the shirts constructed, and the collars and sleeves ready to attach. We even made ties, although I probably won't make mine so low-cut as to functionally need them.
The blue print.

The red (and green) print
A simple top, in two variations, both of which seem to call for spring and summer. And smiles.

Both Roxanne and Tenna Kay mentioned how the red flower print reminded them of my mom. It reminds me of her, too, and some of the clothes that she made me, way back when. I think that is part of why it makes me so happy.

Roxanne and I talked about what we wanted to work on after these tops were done, and several thinks in denim came to mind. The perfect thing to pair either of these tops with, I think. Of course I won't limit myself to that, when it comes to partnering either of these fabrics in my wardrobe, there are several choices for each. Hope I can show off the finished tops by next week!
Yep, Mom would have loved these flowers, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment