Monday, August 12, 2013

Style or No Style

I got to thinking, late last night, that I should do a weekly post about wearing the clothes I make. It sounds well and good, but the reality set in, and there are some issues. Not sure I can get around them all.

First, there are all those photos to be taken. Not that I'm camera shy, but really? multiple photos every day (ok, maybe I don't wear something I've made EVERY day...)? of me? Yeah I don't know that I can face that much of myself. I'm not the cute Marisa of New Dress a DayNor am I the adorable Suzannah of Advetures in Drssmaking. They make this stuff look good! I'm more...ordinary. And round. And mature. So I'm not sure I want to face myself and judge what I'm wearing and how I'm wearing it every day.

Next, there is that whole "style" issue. I'm glad to share what I put together to wear, and show my audience, however small, how I do it. IF they want to know. I certainly don't think people really want to dress the way I do. I have a "it makes me happy" idea about it, but what makes ME happy may not float the next person's boat at all. I'm certainly not going to show off my huge and amazing collection of designer accessories because frankly I don't have it. Don't want it. Don't care. I'm not going to name drop the designers that I collect. And have I mentioned that there are days when I feel like all my taste is in my mouth? Yeah...no need for sharing that.

So, even with all that, what about us ordinary people, who don't care if we have the latest Coach bag? I think it IS an interesting topic, and something that would do me good - as a craftsperson - to think about and learn more of. That way, even though I don't care whether I follow the latest fashion trend, at least I could thoughtfully work on tastefulness. To put things together with intent.

I could probably work on putting things together on hangars, with accessories, or as outfits (I mostly make separates, and pair them with different pieces at different times.) if I've made both pieces. I could blog about them about once a week or so & see what works, and what is iffy, and maybe even get suggestions from the audience on occasion. Heck it might even get me to iron a little more often. There's a plus right there...

4 comments:

  1. It's really hard to get pictures everyday. Between what I do on FB for the store and then TRYING to keep up with a blog, I don't have time to upload cute everyday pics of my kids to share with family.
    I get you on not caring about fashion and all that. I have never been a labels person. I like to make clothes, and find pleasure in the fact that nobody else has the same outfit that my daughter is wearing. Except for the one weird time that I found an outfit at Sams that was made from the same Tutti Frutti fabric I had bought and made an outfit for my daughter from the previous year. Weird! I enjoy how happy my family members are when they receive a brand new "made by Mom" article of clothing or quilt. That's what it's all about. Who cares what anyone else thinks. :)
    So, this is a crazy side note. But, did I see you at Bernina a few weeks ago?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feedback! Yay!
    Very possible that you saw me in the Bernina store! a couple weeks ago. My daughter picked out a beautiful blue batik that she wanted a shirt from, in hopes it could be a school shirt (her school has uniformly dressed policy). I'll make it for her, but I think she'll have to wait for next year (and no uniform) to be able to wear it to school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was you, but I didn't want to be mistaken or come off as a stalker. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I know you work there, so next time just introduce yourself. (I'm trying to save up for vacation for a bit and sew out of my stash, so it may be a couple months...)

    ReplyDelete