Sunday, April 14, 2013

Pattern Adaptation Fail

I've been working with Raine on some summer clothes for her. I've got a pants pattern that she likes pretty well, and looks good on her. I've made a couple of button-down shirts she will/did wear. I've made others though, that she would not. Even some I've consulted with her about, but when the time came to wear them, the answer was "no." Sigh.

This summer she is wanting some pull-over tunic-y style tops. That should be easy enough, right? Well, I couldn't find a pattern in my statsh that was exactly what she wanted, but I didn't let that stop me. It almost never does.
Here's the starting pattern
I dug out this pattern for a girl's top, thinking I could lengthen it suitably. It had a nice neckline detail in view G that I liked.
cute notch in the neckline
The top was  simple to cut out, and quick to sew up. Lengthening it gave it a nice, if subtle, fit and flair shape. I did bias tape facings at the sleeves.
All those dots confused the camera
It came out just as cute as it could be, notch in the neckline and all...
You can ALMOST see it.
The problem? It just doesn't fit Raine AT ALL. The neckline is too big, and reaches from shoulder to shoulder. The shirt is just too big around for her. I could fix that easily enough, if the neckline were better. The neckline didn't look too big until I had it all put together, and then I worried about it. She is my daughter after all, and got my narrow shoulders. Darn it.

Still the top is cute, and I won't throw it away. I will see if it will fit my niece, and if not, donate it to the battered women's shelter. It will fit someone, somewhere...

In the mean time, I have round two ready to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment