Monday, April 29, 2013

Kids clothes Week - Pajamas

What!?! It was my birthday yesterday, and I was busy not posting. So, OK, I'm a day late, but the pajamas were finished in good time. Even if they do need to be tweeked. Sigh.

Soft summer lightweight knit pajamas in a fun print were on order for this week. Special order. From Raine. So here we go...

Which pattern to choose?
Well, I dug through my pattern box(es) and found this one, um, these. Pretty close to what Raine asked for. pull-over, v-neck, long shorts, short sleeves. check! Notice something else about the patterns? Took me a while to notice (and no telling how long I've had these, although the Butterick one is evidently a thrifted one, since it is, as the note mentions, cut down to size 12). Here, let me give you a closer look.

twins? You decide...
Yes, the fabrics on the garments the models for the patterns are wearing are the same. Similar style pattern, identical cover fabrics. Hmmmm....

Oh, well, onward. So I ended up using the Butterick pattern, really because I thought the 14 would be more the right size, but since it had been cut down, I just lengthened it for Raine.

summer pajamas
The shorts fit her great. Looking at the pattern again, I see that they make the top pretty loose, but Raine is just not very big around, and so she is swimming. Also, I might, maybe, have made the top a little TOOO long. Easy enough to fix, and I'm learning about my daughter's changing, growing body. She inherited narrow shoulders from me, and I will have to make some of the same adjustments for her that I do for me.

I also still need work on my lightweight knit sewing techniques. I'm just not happy with the the stretching as I sew on my Singer. I would like to try out some double needle on it, but will have to wair for the summer to build up my confidence to try it. Hope I can get better at them, because I would really like to work with them more.

No comments:

Post a Comment