Sunday, April 21, 2013

A New Skirt for Spring

I like khaki as a friendly, versitile neutral in my wardrobe, and not too long ago a friend of mine picked up a bolt of a khaki twill at a thrift store. She offered me half, and I took her up on it. It was a deal, and not just for something for me, but also I could make Raine some pants & shorts that are school uniform appropriate for school next year. The twill is lightweight enough for warm weather, and after washing was soft, with a kind of brushed side.

I looked through my patterns and picked out this one:
Apparantly, boxy to cover fat once seemed like a good idea
I thought the simple maxi in the top right corner would make a good and useful skirt, and actually looks like it has some shape to it. Elastic waist, kick pleat, easy (only 2 pattern pieces) with the slight inconvenience of no pockets.

So ,it is my first time to make a kick pleat, and mine came out well, although I think I should make another skirt and practice some more...
kick pleat and I matched up the hem on both sides pretty well. yay me!
The skirt fits well, and I'm looking forward to wearing it to school sometime soon. It isn't as full at the bottom as most of my skirts are, so I'm interested in knowing how I'll like it in the long run before I make some more, but I still think my cousin would like one. She wears skirts more often than I do.
tucked in the shirt so the whole skirt would show
Of course the skirt would look more fashionable on some one thinner, but that wouldn't be me. Maybe I should think about styling a little though... put together an outfit like I might wear to work, instead of my tie dye t-shirt that I just happened to have on...

No comments:

Post a Comment