Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Baskets Baskets Baskets

Roxanne and I have chose fabric baskets for our Christmas project this year. The first one i made was scrappy, which is great practice for improve piecing. OK, for piecing of any kind. I'm enjoying the practicing, too...
finished now, but with "issues" so I get to keep it!
We went on from here. I'm doing most of the cutting out, and we are sharing the sewing. I wish we had more time to sew together. It is our treat to ourselves. The baskets are pretty simple. Each block is 6.5 inches square with a lining, and a quilty kind of innerfacing for depth, and for the baskets to stand. Sew the outside blocks togther, and the inside blocks together. Then sew the bottoms on. Since I don't like my results when I leave the turning hole at the top edge, I leave it in one side of the bottom of the lining fabric. Even if you close that by a quick machine line on the "outside" fabric, it is stuffed down in the bottom of the basket to be invisible.

more baskets...
One week, we embellished with laces and rick rack that I had in my stash. Roxanne added the cording for cute handles on one basket. On the top edge of the pieced basket above, we used bias tape for a finished look. Another time, we did some improv piecing on a couple. When you have the innerfacing square to go by, you get the right size pretty quick, so while it is more time consuming than using a whole block, it sure makes a nice focal point on a side or two.

fill them with ornaments for a festive look!
We have had fun with these baskets, as you can see. Hope we can finish them all before Christmas!
decorate your children!

No comments:

Post a Comment