Tuesday, January 3, 2017

New Year 2017

I'm not so much of a resolution maker. I am, however a goal setter. I think there is a difference. Resolutions are kept or - more often - not and then they're gone. Goals are a process. Something that gets worked on until its met, and the process may be as much about the road as the destination.

Generally speaking my goals are to improve my health, physical and mental. For me, mental health includes creation. I haven't posted much creatively this year, sadly, and although that doesn't mean I haven't been creative, I haven't been as productively creative as I would have liked. And I haven't been as good at recording my efforts as I have been in the past.

Blogging about my creations seems... braggy? Show-offy? Attention seeking? Perhaps I am willing to do all three of those things, but to do it continually gets to be a little much. For a while, I was reading several sewing blogs regularly, but not so much any more... and many of those bloggers have moved on... to new blog sites if nothing else.

I think I've written about creative learning process here, and making this space about that. The problem is, I haven't made as much of a point of sharing that as I set out to do, so I will remind myself of that and set some goals.

1.   Sewing with knits. I need help and practice. I bought a Craftsy class on it, and on using my serger and somewhere between those two things, should come some improvement, and some practice. I bought some (what I hope is) lovely bamboo jersey knit. I know, right? I can't wait to feel it! And I definitely want to make something wearable from it! So, I have some incentive to work on this creative goal.

2.  The Christmas ornament boxes. You know, the ones I wrote about in my last post. I've made a little progress getting snowflakes crocheted and I've been soaking them in sugar water and stretching them to dry. They still need to cure some, to really harden up, but they look something like this now.

stack of snow flakes

I need to make some more and get them through the process, hoping to add a dozen snowflakes to each box of ornaments. I also want to do some smallish cross stitch ornaments, which will also store flat and fit easily into the box. I have plenty of patterns to choose from, and none should be a huge project in itself.  I have cross stitched some ornaments onto perforated paper in the past and been happy with how they turned out. A little fabric paint on the back holds the threads in place, and makes the whole thing  a little more substantial.

3. I have been wanting to do more quilting, and so I think I will participate in a quilting bee this year. I found one that will be happening all year, and at the rate of 2 blocks per month, I think I could do that. And then have a quilt by the end of the year.

4  One last project that I would like to get done this year, is a Christmas tree skirt. I thought about making one while I was on this winter break from school, but the motivation didn't really happen. Sigh. I helped Carl with some sock monkeys, so it wasn't like my sewing machines sat totally idle.

smile, sock monkey, smile!
I also hemmed some receiving blankets in case of any new arrivals.

So cheerful and happy...

So, I should keep myself busy, right? And write about it to, right? Part of processing and internalizing that creative process.

I should also update the afghan progress. It did get repaired, and finished. It has also received the feline nod of approval.

Artemis and Janis say it is quite comfy.
I also admit to enjoying some social creativity, so maybe, that will happen some this year, too, one way or another...

Happy New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment