Sunday, January 22, 2017

Honey Pot Bee Strawberry Style

The last of the January blocks for the Honey Pot Bee is a strawberry. There were two sizes to choose from, and  I pretty much just picked the first in line. It was the smaller of the two.

Here's my finished block, and although it isn't perfect, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Cute tiny birds on the white fabric

I mostly got my corners and points to meet up. I definitely still need to practice those, although I think I'm learning to manage them a little better. The small blocks feel rather fiddley to me, which I mentioned in a previous post, but there is less fabric for them to stray from meeting seams, so maybe that is helpful.

Not that I think I'm being profound here, or anything, but here is where my learning curve is. Precision cutting is important (and probably not my forte). Being carefully even on my seam allowance also seems pretty important, and I think - no, I'm sure - I did better on that in this block than the Starflower block.

Another thing I noticed in the construction of this block is that the fewer the seams to sew across the better. So, I did not put this together in rows, but built it up in twos and threes, eventually having only one seam that had all four seams to match up. Of course matching up the squares is easier than the half square triangles as there is a difference - at least to my brain - between where the diagonal seam will match up, and where it seems like it should match up. I have to learn to just take it on faith that if I go by seam allowance, it will come a lot closer to matching.


The other January blocks
Here are my other blocks for January.  Now I get to look forward to the February blocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment