Sunday, January 8, 2017

Honey Pot Bee January

One of my goals for this year is learning crafty/sewy stuff. To that end, I decided to try out a quilt block bee, and the one I chose is the Honey Pot Bee, which I found out about on Facebook, from one of the Sewing pages I have show up on my timeline. You should also be able to find them on Facebook. I know there is a Facebook page for the bee.

The first block - a bonus block - was for a tree. Actually, you make two of them, reversing the fabrics. Here are mine:


Trees!!
I haven't decided whether I will complete the challenge and make a whole quilt top from my blocks, or just figure out projects for the blocks. I'm leaning toward the quilt, because well, yeah. QUILT! But, I know I will also find projects along the way. For instance the top set of trees is becoming mug rugs. Here's the progress on that.

Front of one block, back of the other. They both will have the same fabric on the back.
I just need to stitch around the edges, and machine quilt them to be done. I haven't decided what exactly to do for the quilting. I don't really think just outlining the shapes will be enough.

The second set of trees got sewn together to make a block for the quilt-to-be. The blocks for this bee will be many different sizes so I will probably have to figure out something for borders, but that can be a future decision.

one quilt block CHECK!
The two official January blocks are a star block and a strawberry block. I have been working on my star block, and haven't decided on whether I will take on the strawberry or not. I probably will if I can find fabric I like for it in my stash. I will also decide whether it will be red/pink or some other combination.  One of my personal challenges for something like has more to do with aesthetic than it does with sewing skill. Don't get me wrong, the precision piecing takes practice and patience, and one of the things I really like about the tree block was that it didn't have to BE precise. I'm fine that the trees on my block above are a little wonky and off center. I don't think that hurts the block at all. But the half-square triangles on the star block will have to be more precisely sewn. It will be a challenge, but not like the challenge of picking fabrics that work together. Again to the trees above, I really like the yellow with the busier browns and reds, but that so could have not worked. Some times, my taste is all in my mouth. So that is a challenge. For a finished quilt, will I be able to pull them all together somehow?

Anyway, the half square triangles are sewn for the star block, and my next step will be to sew them together in the block. The instructions suggest working out from the middle of each row, and I will definitely try that. In the mean-time, here is the layout for the star I'm making.

A star in black grays and black.
I like it, I think, even though some of the grays have some pinkish tones and others do not. I tried to be thoughtful in the placement so they would play well together. I have enough for two blocks, but I won't sew them together like the trees. I'm not even sure they will both go into the quilt pile, but I think they will.

I'm happy with my progress so far, even though it is only the first month.


1 comment: