Monday, February 16, 2015

Works in Progress - February Edition

I usually show something that is finished, but I don't have anything finished to show off. I did hem some pants for Carl. While I know he appreciates that, it isn't really picture worthy.

I did a little sewing this weekend, but not as much as I would have liked. Roxanne was busy so we didn't get together to sew. I really love that she is healthy enough to join me for sewing again. The time we put in together, with our regular sewing sessions has really upped both of our skills. Funny thing about practice, huh. There are still new techniques we want to learn and try out, and I hope we will get to some of them this year.

I worked some on a nightgown that Roxanne wants. It is a nice long winter gown that we'll finish just in time for the weather to be too warm to wear it. Perfect timing again!

I have several tops that I have done some serger work on and pressing. They are ready for necklines and sleeve hems, but while I will serge them all with white thread, I will do the visible sewing with a matching color thread, so one at a time, in these cases. They are all tunic tops, which I love to wear, with neckline and dart placement variations. I seem to be attracted to greys with blues and greens lately, and this batch of tops really shows that. Plus I have another piece to cut out. Just trying to decide if I want button down or what for that top. Decisions, decisions.

We will be heading for Wild Wild West Con in a couple of weeks, and I still have some sewing to do for that. I don't know what it is, but I can get all Steampunk all over creatively for others, but when it comes to creating something for myself, I get stumped. Last year, I started a tulip skirt for myself, but even though it is a simple pattern, it wasn't coming together like I wanted it to. I put it down and left it alone for almost a year. Then a few weeks ago, I pulled it out, and decided what to do to fix it. Now the necessary taking apart part is done, and I have a plan to make it right. I even have a plan for some embellishment, which is kind of exciting for me. It is subtle, but I found some sew-on studs at Hobby Lobby, and picked them up on a whim. I think I will sew them on the skirt just above the seam where the flounce is attached near the bottom of the skirt. Kind of excited that I put them together, and I hope it turns out like I hope it will.

Other than that, I've been crocheting cute animal scarves still. Currently, I'm working on a panda. His little nose looks so cute! Can't wait to get the face made!

Observations: I like having multiple projects to work on. Of course some are projects I can pick up and put down easily (the crochet or other needlework), others I like to be able to sit down and have some sustained time to work on in good light (Not usually at night), I will also take on a challenge and try to solve it. Sometimes that last takes a while to rest from frustration, and allow myself time to think and be creative with a solution. Works in Progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment