Saturday, February 21, 2015

Talking About Creativity - The Stash

Like many crafters, I have one. Bigger than some, smaller than others, but I think the stash is important to the creative process for me.

For one thing, I am not a "one project at a time" crafter. My least favorite part of sewing is cutting things out, so I will cut out several projects at once, and then work on them as my schedule allows. There are many times that I would not have done any sewing if I had to start the sewing session by cutting out the project (much less having to go shop to begin the project). When I want to sew, I want to SEW! Having a stash allows me to pick patterns and fabric that I have at home, and put them together when I'm ready. Having a stash of yarns and patterns also works well for me when I get that yen to crochet or knit. I can try out a pattern with yarn I all ready have, then decide if I need to buy yarn particularly for that project.

The stash also allows me to buy patterns and materials when they are on sale, for use later. I wouldn't always be able to sew what I wanted if I had to purchase all fabrics and patterns at full price. It certainly wouldn't make my project making any kind of bargain AT ALL, and likely put many projects out of my price range. I certainly wouldn't get to make all the things I've enjoyed making.

Besides allowing for purchase on sale, sew up later projects, I have had the opportunity to "aquire" fabrics and yarns. Estate sale purchases, inheritance, and "hey I have this fabric that I won't ever use" have all found their way into my house. I've washed and sorted, made some up and passed some along to others. Sure, the aquired fabrics are not always to my taste, but I've made and donated garments and blankets because the price for the materials was right: practically free.

Part of my stash of fabrics, yarns and other crafting supplies
Storing the stash can - of course - be another matter, and I have struggled with that at times. Right now, most of my stash is stored in bins, on shelves. The bins aren't particularly attractive, but they do provide a certain amount of protection from sun, dust, pets, etc that I appreciate. I can sort by type of fabric or yarn, and then dig through the appropriate bin when I'm shopping through my stash. Sometimes I am happy to find a fabric I had forgotten about, and sometimes just looking through a bin will be inspiration for a project. I don't think I will ever - at least not here in New Mexico - store my fabrics on shelves, no matter how pretty I think that might look, or how tempting. The thought of having to wash and rewash those fabrics before I can even cut them out? Well, once is enough in my book.

Stash as a creative element gives me amunition to be creative with
when the inspiration hits me, and I would be very sad to have to do without mine.

1 comment:

  1. Well, when you put it like that it does make perfect sense lol and after all you do have room for your stash. Nothing worse than having an idea to create something and then thinking about having to go to the store to find what you need when you might very well have it on hand.

    ReplyDelete