Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Happy Top

This top makes me happy!
Late last year, I cut out two tops from this pattern. The circled view reminds me of some tops I had once-upon-a-time that I remember fondly. I like the collar, and the no-button front, and that you can tie the v-neck closed somewhat. I'm not much of a cleavage person. AND I like that it is a longer top, covering the hips.

The fabrics I chose were also happy fabrics. Flowery, fun and cheerful. When I finished the first of the two tops, and got a photo taken, I was less than happy with the result. Sigh.

Less than flattering.
I did some asking of people who's taste I trust - sometimes more than my own, which can sadly be iffy at times- and did some thinking. The photo isn't flattering because of the angle. But that isn't the only problem. Ron suggested there was too much collar for my short neck. Hmmmm. I think he's on to something there. The collar has bugged me when I've worn the shirt. (of COURSE I've worn it!)

The other top languished in the sewing room for a while, but I pulled it out and looked at the collar, constructed in two pieces to be more than I really need. I tweeked it. I'm not afraid to do that, you know. I cut off that bottom layer and just attached the top layer to the shirt. I had a facing for the front, and in the back, I used bias tape to finish and cover the seam. I put in the sleeves, and the hem, and tacked down the facing, and tried that puppy on.  Since there was no one around to snap a picture, you have the joys of the ubiquitous bathroom mirror shot. Even so, I think it turned out better.
Now, this top makes me happy!
Just in time to take it on my summer vacation travels. Pay no attention to the goofy, I'm looking at myself in the camera screen and the bathroom mirror at the same time, yeah, I think its enough light, look on my face...



No comments:

Post a Comment