Thursday, September 17, 2020

Social Distancing 45

 September 17, Thursday

Yesterday was Carl's birthday. We'll do an appropriately social distanced celebration on Saturday for him. Damon too, for that matter, who's birthday is next week. Ron's is coming up in October. It isn't that far away? What happened to this year? It seems to be going so fast, now that school has started. At least THAT hasn't changed...

We did a day trip out to see Phil and Cheryl. It was such a nice day. The rains we finally had last week have cooled us down some, and we sat outside and watched the hummingbirds come to the feeders they have set up. It was amazing. There were at times, up to ten of them flying around and of course since they get territorial, they chase each other away from the feeders. You can hear them buzz as they warn the others of their intent, Cheryl said they sound like light sabers when they start a battle (and they do, rather) and they will fly into each other to fight in the air. Other hummers watch for those to fly off in the chase, and move in for a sip or two while the coast is clear. I got a few pictures on my phone, but they don't do the hummingbirds justice...



busy, busy hummingbirds

They also have a covey of quail that show up expecting handouts... and of course they get them. I think one of the reasons they moved where they did was to get to see all the wildlife, and feel part of nature. It sure is calming.



I have to admit that I have enjoyed the limited nature in my life this year. I feel I've actually had a chance to see some of it, when there are times when I am so "everywhere else" that I don't.

School has been demanding a lot more of my time recently, so it was really a good thing to get away from it for a day. We are already half way through the 9 weeks, and doing parent/teacher conferences this week. Our little curriculum group is trying to put together the curriculum for the second 9 weeks as we go. The deadline is approaching, but now that we are teaching, that demands time first. Of course. I'm looking forward to a less stressful week or at least weekend, although I don't know how I'm going to surpass the destress level achieved last Saturday. I will say I hope to get some sewing done.

The sky is also clearing somewhat. There are fires burning throughout the west, and the air has been very smoky and it's worse in many places than it is here. We didn't have much of a monsoon season, so our recent rains were welcome. The grass in my front yard is still green and growing, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll be watering it this year... A few more weeks, I guess. I like it green and pretty. I've been working on it for a few years, and its finally looking good... at least in places, lol. But the season is changing. Slowly. But inexorably. It's been a long summer, seems like since March, and I have to admit to being sorry to see it go. 


No comments:

Post a Comment