Friday, July 18, 2014

Soap Make & Take

Yesterday, at our weekly Arts & Sciences SCA meeting, we did our second make and take project. This time, we made soap. It was a much easier process than I thought it might be, although anything you have to be so precise with - and you do need to be precise with the water/lye/fat ratio - is probably not something I am going to tackle solo very often. (also the reason for some of the cooking I don't do...)

I don't have in-process photos this time. I was busy making! I do have some pics of what I got to bring home though.

Lightly coconut scented. Can you smell it from there?
We used egg cartons and poure on top of plastic wrap to make small sized pieces to experiment with. I added a couple drops of coconut scent to the base. We used coconut oil for our fat component. Yes, I will have to trim these up a little to make them more presentable. but I'm pretty happy with them, especially for a first try.

I also used a small carton for a mold, and just made plain, unscented soap.

carton of soap
This will have to cure for several weeks. I never knew that soap needed to cure. I hope I can cut bars reletively neatly as I would like to donate some of this for largesse. I'm also looking forward to trying some out!

Our next make and take project will be pewter coins/medalions. Sounds like fun, right!

No comments:

Post a Comment