Sunday, May 18, 2014

Mideaval Envelope Bags

I've been working on putting a class together for my SCA Arts & Sciences group. Several people wanted a beginning sewing class, and I'm glad to help them. I think having something to take away from the class that they make will be an awesome incintive for them to try some more sewing, as well.

I found a pattern for an envelope bag in my browsing through pinterest, and I thought it would do well for men and women, depending on the fabrics used. It is a simple shape, and simple construction, with straight lines to sew. It is fully lined, and quite functional. With very little modification - again mostly fabric - it can also look quite modern and up-to-date.

I decided to make a couple of sample bags, for people to look at and get an idea of modifications that are possible. One version is pretty simple, with a boxed bottom, and twill tape for a shoulder strap.

Simple shoulder bag
The other example is a little more colorful, and I covered some stiff innerfacing for a shoulder strap. I also included side panels and a bottom panel to give this bag more depth.

fancy lace trim
I'm working on a basic 9 by 11 pattern that will easily come out of a fat quarter or two. Twill tape for a handle makes that an easy matter of sewing in the strap with the lining.

The only thing I have left to do on either of these bags is to give them closures. The envelope shape on the flap rather needs one.

These are a good size to wander around merchant's row at an event, hold a small craft project, or even hold a kindle or a nook, and with a little added size, an I-pad or similar tablet.

No comments:

Post a Comment