Sunday, January 13, 2013

Zippered Pouch, the First!

Yesterday, when I went to sew with Roxanne, she wasn't up for much sewing. She has a couple of conditions which were catching up to her, but she still wanted some visit time. Me too. I've been wanting to make a zippered pouch for a while, now, so it seemed like the perfect opportunity to try it out!

First, we picked out the pattern we wanted to try. I had printed out this Goody Pouch pattern from the Moda Bake Shop. I love looking at their "recipies" and I've picked out several that I want to try.

After that, we let Roxanne's five year old grandson pick out some fabrics. Dragons, check! Orange (for the flames) check! Grey for the smoke! Black for the coal (you know, so the dragons have something to burn...). Roxanne had a red zipper, the swivel clasp, and the split ring. While I don't usually like to use a dark fabric for the inside of a bag, I went with the dragons anyway, since I knew they were his focus for this project, and it is a small bag. Hopefully he won't loose anything in there.

It took a couple hours to make the bag. First I made sure I had everything ready, so I checked the pattern, and cut one set of pieces... and rechecked the pattern, and cut the next set, and so forth. I find that prepping take the most time on these projects, and the actual construction goes quickly, if I've done the prep. I took construction kind of slow, since it was my first time, and I didn't want to mess it up.

My first zippered pouch!
Her grandson LOVES it! It didn't quite work as a holster for his ray gun, but the matchbox cars were cozy. He barely let me borrow it back for my brother to snap this photo on his phone and email it to me. I'm very pleased with the way it came out, and I'm looking forward to my next one. Maybe even today...

No comments:

Post a Comment