Sunday, June 5, 2011

Shelbi Fashion Show






About a month ago - while school was still in, and finals were approaching - the craft blogs I look at had a week of sewing for kids, and showing off what was made. It wasn't a good time for me, although Roxanne and I could have whipped something out. We had other things on our plates. This week, while Shelbi has been visiting, we worked on some clothes for her to take home. Like most families, new clothes that parents don't have to pay and arm and a leg for are welcome. She got to help in the designing of them, and Roxanne and I got to sew some cute girlie clothes. It is a win all around.

At Joann's, Shelbi and I found some cute summery fabrics on the sale racks. She picked out what she liked, and I bought 4 yards of fabric, some cute decorative buttons, and elastic. At home, I cut out some simple shapes: an A-line skirt, a tiered skirt, a peasant top (the pattern even has the sleeves attached) and a top that has the bodice gathered into a neckband that also serves as shoulders. I also found a piece of fabric that I repurposed to a little dress, and enough leftover from a t-shirt I was making for myself to cut out one for her as well.

There were only a couple of issues that we had to correct. First the lime green top was just too long. Easy enough to shorten. Shelbi had picked out some fun buttons to embellish with, and the finished top is cute and summery. The other problem was the t-shirt. The fabric is soft, and stretchy, and the neckline turned out to be WAY too big. Our fix? We threaded a short piece of elastic through the turned neckline hem and gathered it a little in the center front and center back. I think it turned out really well.

1 comment:

  1. What adorable clothes! They look very nice on her, and she seems to be quite pleased with them, as well she should be.

    Most excellent work!

    ReplyDelete