Monday, June 20, 2011

More log cabins

Well, not really more squares, but I sewed more strips on the squares I have. In fact, I'm to the point where I don't have a complete set of strips left for the squares I have. I don't know how big Mom intended these squares to be, but I know I don't have enough strips for that. Not nearly enough. By at least 2 strips per block that I've put together, and I only used about half the centers she cut. So... now the further decision making.

My first thought is to just stop where I am, or at most add enough strips to make an even set out of the strips I have left. Just keep the blocks as a they are what they are project, which is pretty much what I intended for them to be. Except that I want to finish them into something useful. Three by six squares could probably be worked into a baby quilt or something.I'll frame them to even things up, and I'm thinking that if I orient them all the same way, then it won't be so noticeable that they aren't "finished" squares. Will it? I mean, I probably wouldn't notice, looking at someone else's finished piece, but will it just cause someone else to have the heebie jeebies or something?

So, for the rest of the project, I think I probably have fabric I can repurpose for a backing, and some batting as well, especially if it is baby quilt size. I think I'll incorporate the leftover "center" pieces into the sashing, if there are enough of them to work with, and I think there are. I'll get to try out my new bias tape foot for the binding, and the free motion foot for the quilting. Sweet, huh.

Well, no pictures today, but if I lay out the blocks tomorrow and add sashing, I'll be sure to show it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment