Friday, March 11, 2011

overalls revisited



I got my overalls finished in time to wear them to the steampunk convention, which I've been blogging about all week, one way or another. I did promise to talk about my "finished" overalls though, so I will. I think the outfit in general worked well, except for the accessories. I found a pattern for crocheted cogs that I think would be fun to add on the bib. It will be kind of a feminine touch, as well as steampunky and fun.

I wrapped a washer and a nut in copper wire for the buttons and then used a bead to sew through to hold them on. I didn't want to sew them on too tight, since the overall buckle had to go around, and I used a heavy weight thread for strength. We'll see with use how well it wears, as there may be some rubbing. The camera didn't like the shiny metal much and all the pictures I took of them were blurry.

I need modify the straps and narrow them a little so they fit in the buckles a little better but they did ok for the convention.

One of the modifications I made on the pants to turn them into overalls was putting a band around the waist, and then attaching the straps and the bib to that. It worked well, and neatly. I decided I didn't really need to button them up tighter than that, and since there wasn't a gap on the sides like in other overalls, nothing was going to show. Later on, I can add that if I decide to, but I think what would really work well is a leather belt. I can hang pouches or vials, or even a holster from it, and I think that would go a long way towards steaming them up.

Now I want to make so many other steampunk outfits though! I even realized on the way home, that the bunnies I've made in their very gathered skirts could - with very little modification - be very steampunk. Leather! I need leather!

No comments:

Post a Comment