Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Challenge


So, I finally figured out my personal, creative challenge. I've been looking for it. I've been hunting for it. I've been gazing longingly at the challenges of others. Of course my challenge was here all along, like they are. I just couldn't see it for the trees. Or maybe the sewing...

So, what is my challenge? To make something useful from found fabric. Yeah, you already know this if you read my other blog. Still... challenge, meet blog readers, blog readers, meet challenge. Now, play nice.

For this entry, I'm going to talk about something I've already made that fits into the found fabric challenge. See, I told you it is something that I was doing anyway, but not keeping a record of. Now, I'm gonna.

My first found fabrics were some knits that I inherited from my mom. She had gotten the piece I used to make sheets, or maybe curtains for our travel trailer, which isn't around any more, either. I looked and looked for a lightweight cotton knit sleep shirt this summer, and finally made one. Roxanne (in case you don't know, Roxanne is my cousin, and we sew together about once a week, and we both love it!) and I also used the various knits from this stash to make her a gown, to make her grandson some pajamas, and to make t-shirts for her grandson and her 4 nephews.

I'll see about adding photos of some of those other things as I can. My sleep shirt - with matching shorts for lounging - is a light, minty green with dots and flowers. Just perfect for sleeping through. And, yes, my lovely model is better known as an office chair.

3 comments:

  1. That looks really comfy! The neckline would drive me batty(er) but the fabric looks like it's just the perfect thing for snoozing. Does it breathe well? A lot of knits don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not a tight neckline, those drive me batty. It breathes OK. It is not 100% cotton, I don't believe, but it isn't bad. It's very light-weight and it is soft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soft matters! Soft matters maybe more than anything -- except a neckline that touches my throat.

    Interesting. The word "soft" starts to look dumb after a while. But I don't care. I love it anyway!

    ReplyDelete