Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Little Crocheted Bird Watching

 So I found this book in my local Joann's store:

Mini Amigurumi Birds

As you might guess from the title, it is full of small crochet bird patterns... and a bat. There are a couple of general patterns that are used for multiple birds, with different colors of yarn, of course. That makes some of the birds go a little faster as I get practiced at some of those general patterns. Other birds are individual patterns, and most of them have some details that are specific to that bird. They take maybe a couple hours to complete, and they are just so darn cute!

Most of the birds I've made so far are made with cotton yarn, which is a little less stretchy than the acrylic yarn I often use. Once I got used to the UK directions for the crochet (they call the stitch I know as a single crochet, a double crochet...), I've enjoyed making these little birds. And the bat.

My first effort was the swan

These three take advantage of one of the common patterns, with different colors and finishing touches.

Bat

Baby Chicken

Owl

I want to try another owl with different thread colors... 
Here is another set of birds with a common body pattern:

flamingo

peacock

I did the peacock first, so I got the flamingo a little straighter, but... it took a little negotiation with the pattern... I like what they did with the peacock tail feathers. I'll be making that one again to try some different color combinations... I saw a video of a peacock with red tail feathers and I also bought a turquoise thread to work with too. This flamingo is from an acrylic yarn which was a little easier to work with (the cotton yarn is a little bit stiffer than the acrylic), so I may do a set of at least some of these birds in acrylic as well.

I'm no where near having tried out all the patterns, but I think eventually I will. So far, each project has been fairly quick and easy, and would only go faster with practice. I can see these as fun gifts. They could work ok as small pet toys, if your pets won't chew apart the threads and swallow them. They could also be a nice handful for a baby or toddler, although I would embroider the eyes instead of using beads. Maybe the safety eyes are OK?

Kingfisher

Robin red breast




No comments:

Post a Comment