Sunday, February 26, 2017

The February Crown - Honeypot Bee

This month, in the Honeypot Bee, there was an extra, surprise block. A crown. A very fun block, with many variations possible, and so many of the quilters on the Bee showed off some awesome blocks.

I liked that the block used a technique that was previously used, the half square triangle, and then took it a step further, creating a block with three triangles, two smaller than one. I don't know where I got off in my measurements and/or construction, but while the crown called for a total of 4 of these blocks, I managed to create 8, and then need 5 of them to fill the space of the "body" of the crown. I went with it, and didn't fret too much, although I suspect I will try this block again, to see if I can improve on it.

I dub thee...

I thought the celestial fabric was fun for this block, but the big pieces get too cut up. I like the blues, and the movement in the checker fabric, although if I do try this block again, I will probably make different choices. The learning for this project is not just about doing the sewing, but also choosing the fabrics.  I really like seeing what choices others make as well, so I can see what might and might not work for me.

I also worked on some more pantry jars, but had no luck finding more of the fabric I wanted to use for the background... I'll look some more in different stores, but I do have a backup plan. I also finished up my tiny pinwheel blocks. Why does it take a photo to help you find all the flaws?

pinwheels
I also found another block. Don't even remember what I made it for, but I figured it could go into the pot for this bee quilt, anyway.... and it has pinwheels too!

...and around they go...
Soon we are on to March, and new blocks. Looking forward to it!


No comments:

Post a Comment