Sunday, July 26, 2015

TIE DYE!!! part 1

OK, first thing, let me say this. Tie dye is messy. Not the project that you can work on for a while, then pick up your camera and take a few process shots. You would need a designated photographer, and we didn't have one. So there aren't a lot of pictures in this post. Of course the shirts aren't finished yet, either...

About 8 years or so ago, we had a great time tie dying some shirts. The dye we used was from Dharma traders, and it isn't basic Rit. I think I'm wearing the last shirt from that batch. We wore them out. They got holes faster than they faded. We LOVED those shirts.

When I suggested tie dye to my family this summer, it was a go. Since the plan today was to dye, I started looking for our box of stuff last night. In the craft room. You know, with all the boxes? Yeah. My brother and I both remembered putting them in the cabinets and something about mason jars. Hmmm. There was no jar box in the cabinets, and no tie dye stuff in there in any other kind of box. There were mason jars. Yep, those I found.

So, this morning I started moving boxes and going through stuff. I gave away Raine's old play dough gear and was surprised that three of the tubs had actual, usable play dough in them. I moved this, and pawed through that. Carl came over to help.

Just when we thought we were out of luck, I lifted the lid off one. more. tub. There it was!!! Yay!

Anyone want to tie dye?
We made up the dyes, and tied up our shirts. The instructions we used before said to soak the shirts in a soda ash bath, which will help fix the dye. Then, we took them outside to play with the dyes. MESSY! Each shirt then went in a plastic bag to let the dyes set overnight.

tie dye shirts marinating
Tomorrow they get rinsed until the dye doesn't run, and then washed & dried. I can't wait to see how they come out. It may not turn out the way you thought it would, but the results will be awesome none-the-less!

Loving the colors!

No comments:

Post a Comment