Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Piecing & Curve Journey

I started working on the fan quilt blocks my mom left me this past weekend. I've been inspired and given confidence by my practice with projects from the Curves class. So, I ironed and sewed, and ironed and sewed. I have one block put together and more in process still.
one quarter of a circle

While I was working on them, I sewed together a couple of drunkard's path squares that I had cut out a couple of weeks ago. When I found the Asian print in my scrap box, it just called out for a drunkard's path. I ended up cutting two out, and I tried to make them a little bigger than the block I had made before.
my first drunkard's path effort

I starched up these pieces, hoping that would help with the sewing process, and really, I think it did. Still didn't get me out of the woods, though. I sewed my curves without much problem, but putting the pieces together - you know, with the straight seam - became problematic. I figured out a good way to square up the blocks, at least in theory. Then I had a brainstorm that would help me match the curved seams. Yeah.
maybe ironing them would help...
I did better with them on my first effort. Maybe I over-thought my process here. Maybe I learned just enough to be dangerous, so to speak. Anyway, here they are. I still love the print, and will finish them as something. Don't know yet they will be both sides of one thing, or side by side. Something, though. Definitely something. At least I'm still working on my learning curve.

No comments:

Post a Comment